Making the most of Roman summers: Another list!
Another August and I am remembering my post (and list) from last year about striving not to miss out on Roman summers by living in a haze. So this year, I am waking up earlier and have added some new ideas to last year's list.
Plus now, there is a Estate Romana 2014 App sharing all the summer events, so I have no excuse to miss out on anything!
So here is the 2014 Make-the-Most-of-Roman-Summer List:
- Lungo il Tevere Festival: The traditional bancarelle along the Tevere: http://www.lungoiltevereroma.it/
- Gasometro Festival: Kind of like the alternative cousin of the Lungo il tevere festival: http://www.gasometro.it/
- Villa Pamphili or Villa Ada - Some of Rome's biggest and loveliest parks set up stages and host concerts: http://www.villaada.org/
- Terme di Caracalla Opera - When the Roman Opera house moves outdoors
- Aperitivo at La Singita on Fregene Beach - The tradition of aperitivo also goes to the beach: http://www.singita.it/
- Granita di Caffe from Tazza d'Oro - Caffeinated Ice. How marvelous! The famous Caffe Eustachio also has a great one. Both are near the Pantheon. https://www.facebook.com/LaCasaDelCaffeTazzadOroalPantheon
- Gelato - Not just for summer of course, but summer is a great excuse. Take your pick of places. Everyone has their own theory about the best gelato. I say to each his own on that one. However, for the flavor cioccolato fondente, mine is still Gelateria della Palma, crowds and all. Tony's gelateria in Monteverde came pretty close this year though.
- Limoncello - a great, refreshing after-dinner drink (with a kick!)
- Hotel Minerva Rooftop for drinks. Lovely view of the Pantheon.
- Notte delle Stelle Cadenti (Night of the falling stars) at the beach on the festa di San Lorenzo (August 10) http://www.regioni-italiane.com/notte-di-san-lorenzo-0132.htm
- Paddle boats at Bracciano lake - Lakes are good beach-alternative and a well-kept secret in the summer. Trevignano is a great city on Lake Bracciano.
- Watermelon Stands - What is summer without watermelon?
- Campari and/or Aperol Spritz - Prosecco mixed with campari or aperol. Summer in a glass. You can get a 14 Euro one at Harry's Bar on Via Veneto, but I would suggest just sitting outside on a regular outdoor terrace and paying the normal price of 5 - 8 Euro. It tastes the same.
- Grattachecca - Stand selling icy dessert (the granita's cousin)
- Castel Sant'Angelo Festival: You can apparently go in the Passetto, a site that has thus evaded me: http://www.nottiacastelsantangelo.it/index_EN.php
- Piscina delle Rose - Olympic sized, 50-meter outdoor pool with lanes for real swimmers and aqua gym for fitness buffs: http://www.piscinadellerose.it/
Other Roman summer suggestions? Send them over if you have them!